Easy Irish Soda Bread
Irish soda bread is easy to make and delicious year round.
Irish Soda Bread
This recipes uses half white and half whole wheat flours to make a light loaf of bread.
For those who don’t mind a dense bread feel free to experiment with more or all whole wheat.
1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole grain flour
1½ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
½ tsp. baking soda
1 tbs. sugar
¼ cup butter
1 cup raisins
2 tsp. caraway seeds
2/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 375º
- Sift together the first 6 ingredients.
- Cut butter in using pastry blender until mixture has the texture of coarse cornmeal.
- Stir in raisins and caraway seeds.
- Whisk together egg and milk. Add to dry ingredients and stir well. Knead briefly on floured board.
- Place in a greased 8” round stoneware pan. Press down so dough covers bottom of pan. Cut a bold cross on top of bread and brush with milk.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
Irish soda bread does not have to be reserved ONLY for St. Patrick’s Day! Make it a year-round regular!
Comments are closed.