Very Healthy Pumpkin Bread
When it comes to sweet things and baking sometimes the best you can do is make it HEALTHIER!
While this healthy pumpkin bread is calorie dense and high in sugar it is healthier than the average sweet bread.
Healthy Pumpkin Bread
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp allspice
¾ cup solid pumpkin (canned or fresh)
1 tsp. almond extract
2 sticks butter – softened
1 ½ cup brown sugar (loose pack)
¾-1 cup shredded carrots
½ cup raisins
¾ cup walnuts
1/3 cup confectionery sugar
1-2 Tbs lemon juice
- Combine all dry ingredients and set aside.
- Measure pumpkin and add extract to pumpkin.
- With electric mixer beat sugar and butter till creamed. Add eggs and beat another 3 minutes or so.
- Add pumpkin, extract and dry ingredients in 2 batches alternatively until almost combined. Do not overmix.
- Fold in carrots, raisins and walnuts and continue to mix with scraper till fully combined.
- Spread in parchment paper lined (9×9) pan and bake at 375 degrees until done.
- Combine lemon and sugar to just make a paste then smear on top when still warm.
- Cool an hour before eating.
Variations Of Pumpkin Carrot Cake
This healthy pumpkin bread has unlimited variations.
- Substitute mashed bananas, sweet potatoes, lemon pie filling or any other similar textured product for the pumpkin.
- Substitute zucchini, yellow squash, sweet potatoes or any other grate-able vegetable for the carrot.
Be creative and try different recipes!
Serve this pumpkin carrot bread as a breakfast cake, as a snack or skip the confectionery sugar-lemon mix and top with butter cream icing for a healthy cake.
The whole wheat flour provides the bran and germ of the wheat bringing vitamins and minerals as well as fiber into this yummy bread. Other nutrition and fiber are found in the many other healthy ingredients included as well.
You can make it in a loaf pan or any other type pan if you prefer. It bakes quicker and is easier to tell when done if you use a flat pan.
Comments are closed.