Vegetarian Black Bean Burger Recipe
This black bean burger recipe is vegetarian and gluten free. Black beans are a legume which are the edible seed of a pod plant.
Black beans and other pod plants such as peanuts, soy beans, lentils and peas are usually dried or canned and are rich sources of protein for vegetarians.
Vegetarian & Gluten Free Black Bean Burger
Using corn and black beans in the same recipe creates a complimentary protein.
When you combine a whole grain (grass) food and a legume it is called a complimentary protein.
It is important for vegetarians to to focus on eating a variety of complimentary proteins in every meal so that they have a better chance of getting all the essential amino acids normally found in animal proteins.
Black Bean Burger Recipe
1 (15-16 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 bell pepper, cut into 2 inch pieces
1/2 cup whole kernel corn
1/2 onion, cut into wedges
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon cumin
1 teaspoon Thai chili sauce or hot sauce
corn meal to bind
- Mash black beans with a fork until thick and pasty.
- In a food processor, finely chop bell pepper, onion, and garlic. Then stir into mashed beans.
- Add chili powder, cumin, and chili sauce.
- Mix in corn meal until the mixture is sticky and holds together. Divide mixture into patties.
- Optional: Dust press patty into seasoned corn meal to coat outside.
- Grill or sear on high heat about 5 minutes on each side.
If you are not going for a vegan black bean burger then add an egg to assist with texture and binding.
Vegetarian Gluten Free Meatballs
You can also use the above recipe to make gluten free vegetarian “meat” balls.
Comments are closed.