The Day Of The Mushroom
Celebrate the day of the mushroom on April 16th with this unique stuffed mushroom recipe.
I am not sure why National Mushroom month is listed as September and the “Day Of The Mushroom is in April!?. Who picks these dates, anyway!?
This is a great dinner entree that is satisfying and reduces your beef consumption!
With 3 caps per person the beef portion is only 2 ounces of red meat and you get the great Umami (savory, bold and satisfying) flavor from the mushrooms bringing you a great steak satisfaction!
The Official Day Of The Mushroom Recipe
This is the official day of the mushroom – ‘shroom recipe according to Deb Bixler!
For starters you need fresh mushrooms, all-purpose or whole wheat flour, eggs, and sesame oil for frying.
These pictured are baby bellas AKA crimini but shiitake and large white button mushrooms work too.
Stuffing ingredients For 6 (2″ diameter) Mushrooms
(4 oz) ground beef (or your choice of other meat)
1 Tbsp minced onion
1 -2 clove garlic – pressed
3 Tbs soy sauce
1/4 tsp black pepper
- Wash and dry mushrooms and remove the mushroom stems and any flaps on the underside that may limit your ability to stuff.
- Carve the mushroom top with an X as pictured.
- Dice the leftover mushroom stems and the carved out mushroom skin.
- Dry the beef with a paper towel and mince or chop it a bit .
- Add the rest of the stuffing ingredients in the mixing bowl and mix them well.
- Scatter the flour lightly onto the mushroom hole where we will add the stuffing.
- Fill the mushrooms with the mixed stuffing then sprinkle more flour on top.
- Whisk a couple of eggs.
- Dip stuffing side only into the egg. Fry in hot sesame oil in a skillet till meat is done, turn – caramelize cap.
- Serve with Soy Sauce Dipping Sauce.
The soy dipping sauce is a simple mix of soy sauce, rice vinegar, honey in any proportions you wish. If you have a sweet tooth, use more honey, if you prefer tart go with more vinegar.